Attorney and Counselor at Law

Law Office of Jeffery S. Brown

Child Support

Child support is the financial contribution one parent makes to another for the support of their children. It is typically ordered by the court for the non-custodial parent to pay the custodial parent child support in order to care for the children financially. It usually occurs when there is a separation, divorce or paternity has been established.

It is ordered by the court or the child support agency, or established by agreement of the parties and approved by the court in an amount that should allow the child to have the same standard of living if he or she lived with both parents.

Establishment, modification and enforcement of child support may be done through the county Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA), as well as through court actions for divorce, dissolution, legal separation, parentage and/or allocation of parental rights (custody).

Child support is payable until the child reaches the age of 18, or until he or she graduates from high school, whichever is later. If, however, a child is no longer attending high school and is not living with or dependent on a parent (i.e., is married or otherwise emancipated), then child support may end before age 18. If a child is over 18 years of age and still attends high school, support will continue until the child has completed high school, up to age 19, unless otherwise ordered or agreed.

Non-Support can result in your license being taken away and charges being brought against you. 

To learn more about Child Support, contact us today. 440.322.5522